PRIZES--AND PRIZES

In spite of the charges of various democratic dailies that university are only the playgrounds of the pampered rich, the increasingly large list of positions filled by the employment bureau makes it apparent that even in these "years of ease" money is an important consideration for most of us. The College office, evidently of the same opinion, devotes a pamphlet to the subject of college aids and expenses, suggesting well-tried methods of earning money and, for the benefit of the more studious or the more brilliant, listing the numerous scholarships open to undergraduates.

There is however, a third means of increasing one's bank account which receives but little attention despite its prominence in the pamphlet--that is,--prizes. More than thirty opportunities in this field are open to undergraduates, and the conditions are so varied that probably few men in college could not find one competition for which they might write a very creditable paper--if they chose. Seven award are made for subjects in Literature, five each for those connected with Modern Languages and Government. History and Economics. Six of smaller value are offered for debating. Music, the classics, poetry and art are also represented by more than one. With such a varied selection covering many of the most popular subjects in the University, it seems strange that no less than six of the prizes, entailing about six hundred dollars, went unawarded last year.

magazines and newspapers print short stories in their contests, but pay only nominal sums for them. The prices offered for poems are ridiculously low compared to the prizes given to undergraduate poets. It can hardly be the complaint of insufficient rewards that dampens the competitors. Nowhere outside the pale is so much attainable with so little effort.

Nor is money all that a prize entails. It is hardly a disgrace to have one's name in the catalogue as winner of a prize; and some of the awards even include medals lest the winner feel his labor insufficiently repaid.

The only explanations of the dying interest are ignorance of the requirements for or even the existence of the prizes and the pressure of other work. To remedy five we suggest a perusal of the College catalogue; and as for the second we might recall that statement by somebody or other. "If you want anything done get a busy man to do it.