NOW IS THE TIME--

The April hour examinations are here, and bring up the whole subject of examinations. With divisionals not at any great distance, there are several points worth discussion. In the first place, what is the situation in regard to exemption from final examinations in concentration subjects? In the division of History, Government and Economics, the custom has been to mark the general examination Summa cum, Magna cum, cum Laude, and pass, with exemption; one may also be passed but be required to take his final examinations. Supposedly this system is to be followed in the new fields in which generals have been introduced; it is a good method. But, so far as we know, there has been no definite announcement.

Now is the time when Seniors are reviewing for divisional examinations, or should be. Needless to say, divisional examinations are a very comprehensive and penetrating method of testing a man's knowledge. It is not possible to cram for them; steady work over a considerable period of time is necessary for preparation. But, a little more than a month before these comprehensive tests are given, come the hour examinations. They take at least a full week out of a man's time, as far as preparing for the big examination, on which his degree depends, is concerned.

It has recently been ruled that in the last year of study, no one who is coming up for a general test need take more than three course, provided he has the proper number for graduation without more than three. The purpose was to give the Senior more time in which to plan his work for the general test. It is only logical to extend this principle and excuse Seniors in good standing from April hour examinations.

Some of the reasons in favor of such a ruling have already been pointed out. April hours interfere for at least a week with a student's general plan of work. They force his attention upon details which is of no more than temporary benefit to him. When a student has reached his fourth year in college, last minute training in the acquisition of minute is not a very great necessity: If he has not already acquired ability to do this, it is dubious whether or not he ever will. The important thing is that he have time to organize the facts covering a whole field, whether it be history, literature, or philosophy; this is what he must do to prepare for the divisional examination. And he should be allowed as much freedom from routine detail as possible, in order that he may benefit by the highly valuable training in general organization.