EXPLAINS FRENCH IDEAS OF AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM

Professor Andre Mroize in Radcliffe Lecture Says American Advantages May be Faults if Carried too Far

"A French teacher looks at American education through a colored lense," said Assistant Professor Andre Morize yesterday afternoon in the sixth lecture for the Radcliffe Endowment Fund. He is prejudiced by three things, Professor Morize went on to say. First, French education is centralized and unified; secondly, the study of the classics is considered to be inseparable from education; and finally, French schoolboys are kept under strict discipline longer than Americans.

There are many things in American education which the Frenchman admires. He is astonished at the organization and equipment, at the technical schools, at the physical education, and above all at the effort made to make the pupils happy.

In spite of these advantages, however, there are several criticisms. In the first place, "all these admirable tendencies not infrequently go to far. The words 'new' and 'progressive' are charms in America." For example, the latest type of examination in American colleges is a long list of questions to be answered merely by "yes" or "no". "It is like saying, if you have an idea, please don't express it."