SIX ADDITIONAL SQUASH COURTS ARE TO BE MADE

H. A. A. Appropriates $6000--More Men at Squash Than Any Other Sport--Will Permit 95 More Matches Per Day--To be Reserved for Freshmen

Work has begun on the extension of the University squash courts in the Randolph gymnasium on Linden street, for which $6000 was recently appropriated by the H. A. A. When the University originally purchased the Randolph gymnasium for squash courts, a few years ago, the equipment consisted of a few lockers, a small swimming pool, two squash tennis courts, a hard racquets court and a court tennis court. This latter was transformed into 13 squash racquets courts, in two tiers. In spite of this equipment, which is among the best in the country, it was found that all those desiring to play could not be accommodated. According to the official figures for this year, there are more men playing squash than any other sport. For this season, it has been decided to build six more squash racquets courts out of the present hard racquets courts, thus accommodating 190 men in an afternoon.

On an average, 250 men played squash racquets every afternoon during the winter, and the congestion caused by this fact made the improvements necessary. These six courts, when completed, will be reserved entirely for Freshmen who are taking squash as their compulsory athletics, thus leaving the other courts free for upperclassmen.