"INTRODUCING--"

Too often men go through college without making the acquaintance of even the most obvious treasures of the University. Either because of indifference or lack of information the Germanic Museum, which was opened to the public just a year ago, is generally ignored by undergraduates, although many outsiders are regular visitors.

The collection, in contrast to that of Fogg, does not contain originals. Instead, casts have been taken from works of art such as the tympanum of the Cathedral of Strassburg, the entrance to the Cathedral of Freiburg, and the Berlin statue of the Great Elector. American artists have so deftly painted the casts that the very rust of the iron hinges, the polish of the bronze, the color of the stone, or the finish of the wood appear in the copy. There are also excellent electrotype reproductions of German work in gold and copies of paintings by Van Eyck, Durer, and Holbein. The whole collection, containing as it does examples of German art from the first to the eighteenth centuries and arranged in a very effective, artistic manner, is one of the finest of its kind in this country.

The building itself is attractive, and is one of the most interesting, architecturally, at the University. It is a late Renaissance type, designed by Professor Bestelmeyer, a leading German architect. Inside--but a personal inspection will tell more than any written account, and will open to lovers of art a profitable field.