SPASSKOYE

The situation in Siberia is pronounced very critical and indeed almost a crisis by members of the special Washington Delegation representing the Far Eastern Republic of Siberia. For some time Japanese troops have been occupying various portions of the Republic's territory to guard Japanese interests and incidentally for the good of the Siberians,--the delegates intimate it is for all their goods. In any case, when the Japanese withdrew from their more advanced posts they established a remarkable neutral zone into which they might advance if the Chita troops could not stop them but which no Siberian soldier was to enter on any account. This was the situation at the beginning of the Darien conference which was to discuss the terms of Japanese withdrawal.

But, unfortunately, some armed bandits broke loose in the Siberian territory, who retired when pursued by troops of the F. E. R. of S., into the neutral zone of Japan. In an excess of zeal (police take notice) the Republic's troops followed them only to meet with Japanese soldiers, charges of trespassing and a liberal sprinkling of bullets. The skirmish of Spasskoye is said to have hastened the negotiations of the Conference and favorable action is expected shortly inasmuch as the Ghita demands are reported to have found favor with the delegates of the Mikado.

Relying on these reports and the fact that the Japanese have not pressed forward in the battle, optimists say that Japan is preparing to withdraw as she agreed and only seeks to be dignified in the process. The aforementioned delegation at Washington, however, sees in Japan's policy only a clock for numerous sins both past and yet to come, and says, quite frankly that once Japan has pacified the other powers with good intentions and convinced them that the Siberians are the aggressors they will proceed with the true purpose,--further conquests in Siberia.