PLAN ERECTION OF DORMITORIES FOR BUSINESS SCHOOL

Dean Donham Emphasizes Importance of Project in Uniting Students to the University--H. F. Kellogg Architect

A comprehensive plan for solving the critical housing problem of the Business School by lifting it bodily out of its present surroundings and erecting for it a new group of buildings within easy reach of the other departments is under consideration by officials of the University. Tentative plans have been made for raising the necessary funds, and it is hoped that the buildings may become a reality in the immediate future.

The new group would consist of a central building with administrative offices and classrooms, and from two to four dormitories for students. At present the Business School has its headquarters in University Hall, holds its classes mostly in improvised space such as the basement of Lawrence Hall and the basement of the Union, and is able to house less than a quarter for its students in dormitories.

Wallace B. Donham '98, dean of the Business School, said Saturday that to him the provision of dormitories for men studying business at Harvard is even more important than the securing of ampler classroom facilities, if the students are to get the most out of their two years of graduate work.

"The importance of dormitories in the life of a college is well understood", said Dean Donham, "but it is not generally recognized that they are as important to a graduate department such as the Business School. Our men live mostly in boarding houses and rooms in private houses, and have little chance for intellectual and social intercourse with one another. They would both enjoy and profit by opportunities to associate with other men of similar interests who have come to Harvard from as many as 150 different colleges to prepare for business careers, and they would feel more at home in the University and come to have a sense of loyalty to its traditions and aims such as is impossible today.

"I am so convinced of the importance of the whole matter that if we were offered the choice between the classrooms and the dormitories I personally should not hesitate a moment to choose the dormitories".

Several sites in Cambridge and the immediate vicinity have been considered for the projected group of buildings, suggested plans for which have been tentatively drawn up by Harrold F. Kellogg '06, a Boston architect. These plans call for several Colonial buildings, with simple red brick walls and stone or wood trim, the style depending for effect more on its proportion than on its ornamentation.

The buildings would fall into two distinct groups, one for classrooms, laboratories, and administration, and the other for dormitories with dining halls and common rooms. The dormitory group would be laid out for 300 students at first, to be doubled as the school increases in size, whereas the administration group would be adequate for 1000 men