BOATING DECIDED FOR COMING RACE

Change Makes Half of First Boat Composed of Men Who Bowed Together in Last Year's Freshman Crew

After a race over the Henley distance in which the University crew set a mark of 6 minutes 53 seconds, Dr. Howe announced last night the seating of the University crew for the triangular regatta with the Navy and Princeton this week. There is only one change from the combination which raced against Pennsylvania last Saturday, Storey replacing Webb at 2.

The first Freshman eight rowed the whole distance, while the Junior crew picked up the yearling boat at the half mile mark and raced the University men over the latter part of the course. The second crew was intended as a pacemaker for the first and, while it was fresh, rowed a lower stroke than that set by Amory. In the final stretch, however, when the seconds spurted and the crews were rowing stroke for stroke Captain Appleton's men held their own, finishing about three quarters of a length in the lead.

Off to a Pretty Start

At the Cottage Farm Bridge the University eight got off to as pretty a start as it has shown at any time this year. For the first five beats Amory was rowing stroke for stroke with Wiesman, but after that the 1925 combination dropped to around 32 while the University held to about 36 or 37. As a result the first shell forged into a lead of about three quarters of a length in the first 200 yards, and when the beat dropped to about 32 and 27 for the University and Freshmen respectively, Amory put a length of open water between the two boats.

The second eight picked up the race, handicapped by this two length lead, and, after spurting so that open water no longer showed between the shells, held its own, rowing a somewhat lower stroke. On the final stretch, however, it could not pull up on the first eight. The Freshmen, who had rowed at rather a low stroke for the whole distance, trailed by about three lengths. The distance to the Harvard Bridge, which is only a few feet short of a mile, was covered in 5 minutes and 3 seconds.

Four Men Were on 1924 Crew

With Storey in at 2 Dr. Howe now has four of last year's Freshman crew rowing in exactly the same positions as they had last season. The other places are filled by Appleton, Ladd, Morgan, and Fuller, making a combination which is very powerful and a large number of whose members have rowed together for over a year.

Work from now on will, of course, have as its chief feature intensive preparation for the triangular regatta on Saturday. The Navy is eager to wipe out last year's defeat at the hands of Princeton, while Dr. Spaeth is reported to have as strong a crew as usual to uphold the Orange and Black. If the weather conditions are favorable, Saturday should see one of the prettiest races of years on the Charles.