YALE FRESHMEN WIN IN LIGHT-WEIGHT RACE

Half-Length Is Margin of Eli Yearling Victory Over Crimson '25 150-Pound Crew Over Henley Distance on Basin

Rowing a stroke that was at every stage substantially above that of their opponents, the Yale Freshman 150-pound crew swept to victory over the yearling light-weight combination over the Henley distance on the Basin yesterday morning.

Both crews got off to a pretty start, the Blue shell shooting through the water at a snappy 36 beat while the Crimson boat registered about 34 for the first minute. After the first hundred yards or so Yale's heightened stroke began to tell and the visiting crew crept into a lead to which they steadily added, until at the Harvard Bridge the Crimson eight was a full length astern.

At this point French, who had been stroking the yearling combination at an average of 30 over the course up to that time, raised the pace and the two shells settled down to an even rate of speed. Nearing the finish, the Crimson stroke again went up with the result that the blue lead was rapidly cut down and near the finish it looked like anybody's race for a moment. Yale successfully answered the challenge, however, and spurted to a half length's advantage as the boats shot across the line.