"LET US ADJOURN . . ."

"Come and lead us" cry divers Republican Senators and Representatives; "Come and save us! We are unpopular; you are popular." Such is the plea to President Harding from those who realize that political punishment may be pending next fall. Scoring "their master's voice" when a recommendation was made to cut taxes and other wise advice was quietly offered, the G. O. P. men now turn to him when the long and unsatisfactory record of this Congress has stamped its unfavorable impression upon the public mind; probably it is too late to repent. Admittedly it is against political reason for the dominant party to hope to secure as large a representation in Congress as in 1920; there will be a backwash. If this counteraction is large, the success of the future program will be endangered.

Such being the situation, there is a logical step for a weary and fidgety Congress to take: adjournment. The bonus and merchant marine projects are centers of so much contention that action seems very unlikely; and the summer before an election is reputed to be an almost hopeless time to secure the passage of a new tariff bill--particularly when the presses of both parties join in strenuous criticism.

In answer to the touching appeal for advice, then, President Harding might well suggest that the session close; Washington in summer is no place for fretful Congressmen--and besides, a number of Republicans are candidates for reelection.