AGREED--AND DISAGREED

How many Freshmen were disappointed, a little shocked perhaps, when they read the report of the three Presidents and learned of the restrictions on football which are to go into effect next year? There must have been not a few; not a few who had a feeling that something which since their first school days they had venerated as Harvard spirit had begun to die out; that the blessings with which the age that is past had surrendered Harvard to them were somewhat doubtful.

To those who by anticipation are beginning to regret the "good old days" we can at present say only this:

The restrictions were not made as might be implied, because of the abuses hinted at in sections one to four. The latter may have precipitated but did not constitute the necessity for the rulings of the Committee. What did make it seem highly advisable to remove the emphasis which has hitherto been placed on football was the fact that that emphasis, attracting as it did so much of the attention of the underclassmen, was misplaced, and contributed to the neglect of that for which students sometimes come to Harvard.

The mere fact that the reply to the rejoinder "Well, what did we come here for?" is not unanimous, leaves little to be said in further explanation of the need for the restrictions.