COACH FISHER PLANS FURTHER SCRIMMAGES

Will Send First Squad Against Second Team This Week--Expect Big Cut After Practice Today--Hard Workout on Saturday

With his immediate objective the opening encounter next Saturday with Middlebury, Coach R. T. Fisher '12 will send the first eleven in scrimmage against the University second team during the practices this week in an effort to select a smooth-working Crimson combination and eliminate any mistaken which appeared in Saturday's initial scrimmage.

The third and probably the largest cut which has been made since the University squad was formed is expected to be announced after today's practice. Those dropped will include almost entirely linesmen, and especially ends, an exceptionally large number of the latter having been retained on the squad to date.

Almost every candidate on the squad was used on one or both teams for a brief period Saturday when the Red eleven clashed with the White in 50 minutes of intense scrimmaging. No effort was made to grade the players and frequent substitutions were made in order to discover smooth-working combinations.

Two Strong Combinations Start

As the practice started Coach Fisher sent five elevens through a brief signal drill and then selected two combinations to open the scrimmage. One team included H. W. Clark '23, center; Lewis Gordon '24 and Percy Jenkins '24, ends; A. L. Hobson Jr. '24 and J. M. Cooper '23, tackles; J. M. Maloney '23 and H. H. Davenport '25, guards; F. G. Akers '25, quarterback; Roger Doherty '25, A. B. Harlow '25, and J. W. Hammond '25, backs. The opposing team started with Alfred Codman '25, center; H. L. Hartley '23 and K. N. Hill '24, ends; C. C. East man '23 and P. B. Kunhardt '23, tackles; Arthur Anthony '24 and W. B. Wood '23, guards; W. P. Howe '24, quarterback; Vinton Chapin '23, E. L. Gehrke '24 and K. S. Pfaffman '24, backs. Captain C. C. Buell '23 went to New Haven Saturday and George Owen '23 did not take part in the practice on account of a minor nose injury.

Gehrke's punting was a feature of the play while Pfaffman scored three points, by a beautiful 25-yard drop kick. The latter also carried the ball on two sensational end runs netting considerable gains. Hammond, Rouillard, and Gehrke each crossed the goal line for a tally.