UNION TO BE OPEN TO ALL UNTIL OCTOBER 5

Meals Served Beginning Today--Sign Ons Abolished but Regular Diners May Secure Rebates--Membership Fee $10 for All Not Members in '21

Today the Union will formally open its doors to all men in the University and until Thursday, October 5, non-members will be extended the privileges of the Club, but will be required to pay cash for meals. After that date only Union members will be admitted. The Union is the common Club of the students in the University and is operated at cost for the benefit of its members. All men connected with the University may take out membership by paying the annual fee of $10.00 but those who were members during the academic year 1920-1921 will be required to pay only $7.50.

The first meal will be served this morning in the Union restaurant from 7.45 until 10 o'clock. Luncheon will be from 12-2 o'clock and dinner from 5.30 until 7.30 o'clock.

The prices are as follows:

Breakfast--30 cents to 65 cents.

Luncheon--65 cents.

Dinner--90 cents.

This year the system of "signing on" is to be abolished and members will sign a slip for each meal. A rebate of $3.00 for those eating 21 meals a week and a rebate of $2.00 for those eating 17-20 meals a week will be made on members' term bills. This will make it possible to eat at the Union for $9.95. This figure may be reduced if some meals are ordered a la carte.

The Union was founded in 1899, a gift of Major Henry Lee Higginson, who was President of the Club until his death two years ago. Until 1917 the Union was not connected with the University. During the war, however, its regular functions were suspended and for one year it was used as a University dining hall and for one year as a mess hall for the Ensign and Radio Schools. After the war the Union was taken in as part of the University and an extensive lecture program was inaugurated.

The Union has a well equipped library as well as a large subscription to daily newspapers and magazines from many sections of the world. The lecture program is being continued in order that members will have the privilege of hearing frequent addresses on the important subjects of the day.

A news stand and barber shop is maintained for the convenience of members, while a limited number of rooms have been set aside for the use of members or organizations. Information about them may be obtained by applying to Mr. F. B. Foster '17, Graduate Manager.

The management of the Union rests in the hands of the Governing Board and of the Undergraduate Committee, the members of which are elected by the student body. The Governing Board for the coming year is as follows: Mr. George Wigglesworth '74, President; Vinton Chapin '23, undergraduate vice-president; Mr. E. A. Whitney '17, Mr. D. M. Little '18, Mr. Matthew Luce '00, and Mr. Fifield Workum 3L.

The undergraduate committe is as follows: Corliss Lamont '24, H. P. Sharp '25, B. McKay Henry '24, Sheridan Logan '23, and C. K. Cummings '23.