MUST APPLY TODAY TO TAKE LANGUAGE EXAMS

Applications Due at University 4 Before 5 o'clock--Elementary and Reading Knowledge in Both French and German to be Tested Oct. 2 and 3

All students who wish to take the written examinations in French and German to test a reading or elementary knowledge of the language or the oral examinations in either of the languages must apply in writing at 4 University Hall before 5 o'clock tonight.

The special examination to test the elementary knowledge of French or German will be held Monday, October 2, at 5 o'clock in the New Lecture Hall, while that to test the reading knowledge will be held at the same time and place Tuesday, October 3. The oral examinations are also scheduled for October 3 at times and places to be announced later. The oral examinations are principally for men who entered the College before June, 1920, the language requirements having been changed after that date.

All students who entered the College in June, 1920 or thereafter are required, before the end of their second year in College to give evidence of a reading knowledge of either French or German and an elementary knowledge of the other.

The requirement of an elementary knowledge must be met in three ways:

1. By translating satisfactorily passages of French or German of the same difficulty as those set in the final examination in French A or German A. Opportunity to take this examination will be offered October 2:

2. By passing with a grade not lower than C in either French or German A or a similar course in another college or an elementary admission examination (based on two years of secondary school instruction) in French or German; or

3. By passing either an advanced admission examination (based on three years of secondary school instruction) or a college course in the French or German man language of higher grade than French A or German A.

The reading knowledge of the other language is tested by a special one hour written examination.