TO THE MIDDLE CLASSES

When the Junior and Sophomore candidates assemble tonight for the CRIMSON's editorial, news and photographic competitions, not unnaturally we hope for a large field to draw from. The quality of the CRIMSON depends, in the long run, upon the quality of its candidates. The more men there are to select from, the better will be the selection and the greater, accordingly, the calibre and usefulness of the paper in the college generation to come.

So much for our reasons in wishing for a large number of candidates. Now, as to the general purpose of the competitions themselves. They are long; but in less than the allotted twelve weeks some candidates might fail because they had not enough time to show their qualifications; others would succeed, whose defects had not appeared. In either case, under a system of shorter competitions the paper would be bound to suffer. The competitions will mean hard work, but without it there would be lacking the training and experience necessary to develop competent editors. The work is not so hard as to interfere seriously with studies, as a glance at the records will show. If a man is not able to handle both, the fault is his own.

But regardless of the length or quality of the competitions, is the outstanding fact that candidates and editors alike find the work interesting and stimulating. This fact is perhaps the biggest thing about the CRIMSON.