UNION TO AWARD PRIZES IN NUMEROUS FIELDS THIS YEAR

Will Conduct Tennis, Pool, Billiard and Other Tournaments--Four $50 Prizes for Distinction in Freshman Class

The Union is again offering a series of prizes for distinction in athletics or University activities this year, including prizes for tennis, pool, and billiard tournaments, for an essay, and for distinction in Freshman year.

The tennis matches are the first of these competitions and are scheduled to commence about Wednesday, October 11. Only members of the Union will be allowed to compete and entries will be open next Thursday when blue books will be posted. There will be both a doubles and a singles tournament and the winners of each of them will receive cups, while the runners up will be awarded medals. The prizes are now on exhibition at the Union news stand.

At midyears four prizes of $50 each will be awarded to the four Freshmen members who excell in scholastic ability and general class activities at that time.

The Union Library Committee is continuing the prize essay contest, the winner of which is to receive an award of $100, while the author of the second best essay will receive $50. Details of the competition will be announced later.

After the football season the first of the pool and billiard tournaments will be held, followed by a second tournament after the Christmas recess. In addition to these competitions the management is planning tournaments in chess, checkers, and bridge to be held during the winter months.