CANDIDATES FOR FALL BASEBALL WILL REPORT FOR PRACTICE MONDAY

FOOTBALL MAKES CAPTAIN OWEN AND OTHERS UNAVAILABLE

Preparations for the 1923 baseball season will begin at 2 o'clock on Monday afternoon when Coach J. J. Slattery will hold the initial practice for the fall candidates. This year eight letter men will be absent from the line-ups in the spring so Coach Slattery will be forced to depend largely upon inexperienced material for this year's squad. It is for this reason that the management is urging a large number of new men to report for fall practice. Though the question is not definitely decided it is very probable that no games will be scheduled with outside teams in the fall season so that Coach Slattery will be able pay closer attention to the performances of each of the candidates. At present it is planned to divide the squad into two teams and in this way everyone will be given experience and will be able to take advantage of individual coaching.

Many Men Unavailable Through Football

A large number of men who will be available in the spring are now engaged in football and will be unable to report for fall practice. George Owen '23, who was elected captain of the 1923 nine immediately after the last Yale game at the Polo Grounuds, will not report until the spring but he will certainly fill his old berth at first base. L. C. Larrabee '24 and Thorwald Sanchez '24 will be the mainstays of the fall catching staff while A. W. Samborski '25 who caught on the Freshman team last year will also be available in the spring. E. L. Gehrke 3E.S. will be Coach Slattery's most reliable pitcher, though he will not work out with the squad now, E. E. Herrmann '25, E. S. Brown '23 and K. N. Hill '24 are the other men who will form Coach Slattery's pitching staff. J. W. Hammond, 1925 captain, is the most logical contender for the second base position while Percy Jenkins '24 will undoubtedly fill Captain Conlon's old position at short stop and C. C. Buell '23 will probably be put on third base.

The personnel of the outfield is doubtful but B. F. Thayer '23 and Lewis Gordon '24 are the most likely contenders for left field and right field respectively. J. S. Clark Jr. '23 should do well in the competition with the center fielders from the 1925 team.

The management has asked all candidates for fall practice to bring as much equipment as possible as the supply is very limited.