"THE SAME AS US"

The communication published in an adjoining column is worthy of comment because it represents what may be termed without giving offense the Tutoring School State of Mind. Its line of reasoning is similar to the mental process by which a small boy, seeing an inviting green apple dangling before him on somebody else's tree, considers that it is there to be eaten, that if he does not eat it there is a good chance it will fall to the ground and spoil, and ends by convincing himself that in taking the apple he has only made the most of his opportunities and done his duty by the community.

The author of the communication points out that the use of tutoring school notes stimulates concentration which, like "stick-to-it-ness" is truly valuable. In the same breath he shows the advantages to be derived by the heads of the schools themselves from their excellent training in business management. It is interesting to note that a College for Confidence Men discovered and dismantled last spring in Denver claimed almost exactly these advantages in its defence. By the same argument it could be shown with much truth that burglary as a profession has much to offer Undoubtedly it develops to a high degree unobtrusive attention to details and a deft accuracy of touch.

There is no reason for running the tutoring schools into the ground. Their labor is unquestionably productive in the Principles-of-Economics sense, for they satisfy a genuine economic "want" If the men who operate them and the men who write their notes. "Harvard men the same as the rest of us," find them profitable is none of our affair. Whether or not the business is of "no small importance," as our contributer says, there is no question it is of no small proportions, particularly at Mid years.

While the tutoring schools serve a large percentage of the University's undergraduates in a very useful way, it is not necessary for any one to come to their defense. They are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves.

If a man finds that tutoring reviews aid him to "get by" in his various courses, let him purchase them by all means, as long as he does not fool him self into thinking that by doing so he is merely getting the same amount of education in a different way. Tutoring schools are a natural by product of the examination system, for which no satisfactory substitute has yet been found. But at best they are a means not an end.