EMERITUS

'Dean Briggs' retirement from the presidency of Radcliffe severs a connection that has been of the greatest profit. Together with his duties at Harvard as Boylston Professor of English, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and chairman of the Athletic Committee, the position has brought him in to close' contact with the students of the two colleges, and has established for him, on account of his sympathy, humor, and kindliness, the warmest possible place in their affections.

From the beginning, Dean Briggs was a firm believer in the infant "Annex", -and that at a time when it took courage even to mention higher education for women; when Mount Holyoke was still in rompers, and Smith, Wellesley, and Vasser had hardly passed their teething days. The "Society' for the Collegiate Instructions for Women" has reached maturity and changed its name; and now Radcliffe, in Dean Briggs' words, "shares the Harvard tradition, giving to its students' something that means more and more to them with increasing years- the love of learning and of wisdom of courage and of truth."

That this has been accomplished is due more than anything else to the efforts of Radcliffe's retiring president. The loss to Radcliffe is material; but the University, selfishly, must find satisfaction in knowing that Dean Briggs' services are more thoroughly than ever at its disposal.