AN ACADEMIC ANGLAISE

Dr. Robert Donald's tribute to the American use of the English tongue is rather breath-taking. Many people have been quoted to the effect that Boston is the American home of correct English. But when the former editor of the London Daily Chronicle states that America as a whole is the stronghold of the English tongue and should therefore initiate measures for its preservation, the compliment elicits only an expression of blank dismay.

According to Dr. Donald there is "more uniformity in procrastination in America than in England." And since "French words are anglicized much sooner" here, American adaptations constantly enrich it. To regulate and unify the use and pronunciation of English. Dr. Donald proposes the establishment of an Institute of English like the Academie Francalse. Although the details are still misty, the plan includes roughly dual headquarters at London and Washington of an inner cabinet of experts and an outer parliament; of professors and authors.

Undoubtedly the scheme is somewhat idealistic, almost Utoplan in the results which the author foretells. But then every scheme is idealistic until tested in practice. The French Academy was laughed at until its influence on the language and literature of France become unmistakably apparent. In fact it has made the language so clear and precise by its definitions that French has become the medium of diplomacy. Now that English is used by over 200 millions of people scattered over the globe, an institution to regulate and unify it, whether originating here or in its home, has become a necessity.