PROFESSOR SHAPLEY TO SPEAK AT HARVARD CLUB

Will Lecture on Origin of Earth in Second Wednesday Evening Entertainment--Other Events Planned

The second of a series of five entertainments at the Harvard Club of Boston Wednesday evenings at 8.30 o'clock will be given this evening at the club by Professor Hatlow Shapley, who will seats on the Origin of the Earth". Mr. Chapley Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy at the University and Director of the College Observatory.

Last winter's season Professor Shapley conducted a series of lectures on popular astronomy and conceptions of the stelar universe at the Lowell Institute in Boston. These lectures attracted a full house of 500 people.

Professor Shapley is noted for his research work. In addition to having perfected methods of measuring star distance photometrically, he is responsible for the expansion and contraction theory of the mass of the variable stars, which explains their changes in luminosity. He came to the College Observatory in 1921 from Mount Wilson, where he had worked since 1915.

On Wednesday, October 24, Dr. Thomas Barbour '66 will lecture on "Exploring with Indians in the Daien Forests". The discussion of this subject will be the narration of a trip which he made for the purpose of collecting mammals, reptiles and fishes for the University Museum. His most striking success was made in the region of Saps Mountain, which had previously been very little explored since early Spanish Colonial times. Dr. Barbour is a naturalist of country-wide reputation, and the author of several papers on fishes and reptiles. At present he is curator of books relating to the Pacific at the University Museum.

Motion pictures are planned for the success Wednesday, October 31. The program is:

"Huckleberry Finn."

"The Roping Fool" (a Western picture with slow motion showing cowboy feats).

"A Sarazen Film" (with slow motion, showing the famous golfer in action).

Dr. Charles W. Townsend '81 is scheduled for Wednesday, November 7, when he will talk on "Excursions in Labrador." Dr. Townsend is a physician who became interested in the welfare of the people living in the hamlets along the northern coasts and Labrador. As he extended his travels he became very much interested in the flora and fauna of the Labrador country. He soon took to writing and his books, "Along the Labrador Coast." "A Labrador Spring," and "In Audubon's Labrador are authorities on the subject.