TO THE VICTORS

If anything can make Harvard's defeat on Saturday less bitter, it is the realization that defeat was not due to chance or fluke, but to unquestioned superiority on the part of the victors. Dartmouth had a team which excelled in every department of the game--as clean and hard-fighting an eleven as has been seen in the Stadium for years. Coming to Cambridge practically unheralded it can take its place among the great teams of the last years, ranking with them in speed of offense and impregnability of defense. Dartmouth had the better team and Dartmouth deserved to win; Harvard does not begrudge her the victory.

But even in defeat the Harvard team is not broken and there is still time for it to rise like the phoenix from its own ashes of ruin. To the undergraduate, who realizes the handicap of a late start, the individual work of the Harvard eleven--particularly the playing of Captain Hubbard--was no small consolation in defeat and raises hopes for the future. So far, it is true, the Harvard team has not been welded into a powerful unit; but there is no surer way to attain this unity than in the testing fire of such a game as Saturday's.