"Save the women and children" and "Hey! Cut out the racket,--I want to study" were but two of the phrases which greeted the Cambridge Fire Department when it arrived to extinguish a small fire in the southwest corner of the roof of the D. K. E. house on Mount Auburn Street last night at 11.30 o'clock.
The firemen found many smoldering shingles and a few sparks, which, however, did not prove half as troublesome as the 300 or 400 students who were aroused from the Mount Auburn Street dormitories by the roaring motors of the fire trucks. These soon congested the narrow ways between the buildings, which spaces would have been in complete darkness were it not for the many desk lamps which were hung from the windows of the clubs and rooming houses.
Ten minutes of axe and chemical extinguisher sufficed to finish the fire, but during that time the students had made practically every possible comment on the firemen's prowess. The fire fighters suddenly replied with a spray from the chemical hose, which squelched many of the bright remarks.
Deputy Chief Vose attributed the fire to some student's tossing a cigarette butt from the neighboring dormitory onto the roof.
Small Roof Fire Forces Evacuation Of Barnard HallA small fire on the roof of Barnard Hall at Radcliffe Quad, forced the evacuation of about 100 students this
South House FireSouth House administrators yesterday began questioning Barnard Hall residents about a fire which they believe someone set on the building's
$5000 FIRE DAMAGES MASSACHUSETTS HALLThe oldest of the buildings in the Yard, Massachusetts Hall, was threatened with destruction when a fire broke out on
Small BlazeSix pieces of fire apparatus were called late last night to a small incinerator fire on the roof of an
INSURANCE MEN HUNT IN VAIN FOR CAUSE OF SUNDAY'S FIRETemporary repairs will shortly be made to the roof of Massachusetts Hall, badly damaged in last Sunday morning's fire, by