FOREIGNERS RECEIVE VARIOUS AWARDS

Four 1923 Men Win Famous Fellowships for Study Abroad-Graduate Schools Give Similar Honors

Representatives at Harvard of several foreign countries and widely separated states are included among the recipients of fellowships and scholarships just announced at the University. In several instances opportunity for study abroad is given to students at the University by these awards.

The Choate Memorial Fellowship, given by the Harvard Club of New York City in memory of its former president, Joseph Hodges Choate '52, has been awarded on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University, England, to H. E. Salt, a graduate of Trinity College, Cambridge. Mr. Salt, who received his L. L. B. at Cambridge in 1922, will study at the University Law School. He was wounded at Paschendaele in 1917 while serving with the 5th North Staffordshire Regiment. In 1919, after leaving the service, he entered Trinity, where he was president of the University Law Society and a member of the editorial board of the Cambridge Law Journal.

Biraja Sankar Guha of Assam, India, who is studying anthropology in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, has been named for the Robert C. Winthrop Scholarship, assigned annually to the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. He graduated from the University of Calcutta in 1912, where he received a Master's degree in 1915. In 1916-17 he was professor sociology and logic at Bangabashi College, Calcutta, and last year assisted in courses on anthropology at the University, which conferred a Master's degree on him in 1922.

Barbier Wins Memorial Scholarship

The Scholarship, instituted in 1917 in memory of V. E. Chapman '13, who was killed in the world war, has been awarded to Marcel Barbier of Dijon, France, who will study in the Graduate School of Business Administration. He is an engineer, who has received his B.S. degree in 1918 at the Lycee Carnot in Dijon, and his M.E. at the National School of Mines of St. Etienne in 1922. For a year he has served with the French Mission of Control of the Ruhr Mines at Essen, and with the Industrial Mission of Works and Mines.

Charles Franklin West of Mt. Vernon, Ohio, a student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, a graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University, and a former professor of Political Science at Wooster College in Ohio, is to study in France this year is the holder of the Ecole Libre des Sciences Politiques Scholarship, awarded to a student of high standing at the University.

The Julia Amory Appleton Travelling Fellowship for study at the American Academy in Rome has been given to Walter Stafford Vaghan '16 of Watertown, who is now a graduate student in the Architectural School.

Four Men Receive Sheldon Fellowships

Four members of last June's graduating class have received Frederick Shel- don prize fellowships, which provide facilities for travel and further study. The men selected for 1923-24 are Marshall Ayres Best of Evanston, Illinois, Albert Harold Blatt of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Frank Walter Coyne of Scranton, Pennsylvania, and Charles Edwin Teeter Jr. of Newark, New Jersey.

The holder of the scholarship offered by the committee of Overseers to visit the Engineering School for 1923-24 is Charles B. P. Alken of New Orleans Louisiana, who graduated from Tulane University last June and is now a fourth year student in the Engineering School.

Three awards in the School of Public Health have been won by men from California, Rhode Island and Iowa. Dr. W. J. Connell of Dubuque, Iowa, a member of the Iowa State Board of Health, has received a fellowship of the School of Public Health. He graduated from the Illinois College of Medicine in 1919 and is taking his first year of work at the University this year. H. B. Elkind of Howard, Rhode Island, a '15 graduate of Tufts Medical School, and a '22 of Clark University holds the second, while Clarence Olds Sappington 2P.H., of San Francisco, California, a second-year student, is the recipient of the third. He received an A.B. degree from Whitman College in 1911, and the M.D. from Stanford University in 1918.

Awards to Architects Announced

The award of eight scholarships to students in the School of Architecture is announced at this time. The Joseph Eveleth scholarship goes to C. A. Bollinger 1S.A. of Meadville, Pa. Special student scholarships in Architecture were won by Thomas Francis McDonough S.A. of South Boston and G.T. Daub 1S.A. of Philadelphia, and Clifford Williams 1S.A. of Georgiaville, R. I. Gouverneur Medwin Peek 3S.A. of Oriando, Florida, a 1920 graduate of J. B. Stetson University, Gerald Warner Brace 2S.A. of New York City, holder of a 1921 A.B. from Amherst, and Otto John Teegan 3S.A. '21 of Davenport, Iowa, have received scholarships. The Edward Austin scholarship in architecture is given to Herbert James Powell 2S.A. of Rediands, California, a graduate of the University of Rediands in 1920.

The Mitchell Freiman scholarship given by the West End House has been won by Albert Cherry 2G.B. of Boston, a graduate of Boston University in 1922.

Other awards at this time are two Murphy scholarships, which have been given to J. J. Murphy '27 of Dorchester, and John Stephen Murphy Jr., 4Dn., of Pelham, N.Y.; and the three Daniel A. Buckley scholarships for graduates of Cambridge public schools, which have been awarded to Max Broomfield Grossman 3Dn., J. B. Doherty 4Dn., and G. C. Bramble 1L