AN OBSERVANT OBSERVER

To settle who is and who is not to blame for the great ruction in the Ruhr is a task too great for the average man. And yet the average man is likely to settle it very nicely in his own mind on the second-hand information and bias of his particular daily newspaper. For one who has not been able to travel abroad and study the problems at first hand, this is practically his only means of reaching a conclusion. There is one other way--to gather first hand information from the talk of one who has been able to go abroad and make a study.

Fortunately members of the University have had such an opportunity in Major-General Allen's speech and will have another opportunity tonight when Mr. A. G. Alloy speaks at the Union. It is not likely that the viewpoint of both men will coincide. General Allen spoke from his experience as the official representative of the United States in the Rhineland. Mr. Alley speaks from his experience as an earnest student of the Rhineland, as a truly unofficial observer. But it will be all the more fortunate if the two viewpoints do not coincide, for in that case nobody who has heard both speakers will be in danger of swallowing whole what either says without taking the trouble to do individual thinking. Whether Mr. Alley's conclusions are or are not accepted by all, he has the reputation for being a stimulating talker, and every undergraduate can usually do with some mental stimulation.