Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

OWEN CARRIES OFF BASEBALL TROPHIES

No Other University Player Has Taken Both Prizes in Same Year--Owen Has Held Wingate Cup Two Seasons

For the first time in the history of baseball at the University, the Wingate Cup and the Wendell Bat have been awarded to the same player. At a recent meeting of the Baseball Advisory Committee, it was decided that George Owen '23 of Newton, for three years first baseman of the University team and last year its captain, had earned the two awards by the excellence of his work on the diamond last spring.

This is the third successive time that Owen has won the Dana P. J. Wingate Cup which is awarded to the player showing the best all-round ability on the diamond. The Barrett Wendell Jr. Bat, which is given for the strongest performance on the offense, was awarded to Owen for the first time this year, having been won during the preceding two years by A. J. Conlon '22.

Owen's offensive performance was judged largely on the basis of his batting average, which was, up to the final game last spring .333 and on an average derived from the following elements of his record last spring: Put outs at first base  63 Stolen bases  6 Sacrifice hits  2 Total runs  26

The trophies are to be held for one year and the award is subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee.

The formal presentation of the two trophies will not be made until early in February at the first meeting of the baseball squad.