BASKETBALL TEAM HAS HAD DAILY SCRIMMAGING

Squad Fast Getting in Form for First Game With Clark University Five Here on Saturday

Daily scrimmaging has been a feature of University basketball practice for the past week. The squad is fast rounding into shape for the first game, which is to be played Saturday with Clark University. Offensive formations are gradually being perfected and teamwork is being emphasized more than usual so early in the season. Various combinations of forwards have been tried. In the scrimmage yesterday Captain Gordon and Smith were used together on Team A for the first time. Rauh was at center in place of Combs, who is still incapacitated by an ankle injury, and the guards were Samborski and Rudofsky. Team A was a 29 to 18 victor over a combination made up of Barnett and Middleton, forwards; King, center; and Reed and Morrison, guards. Gordon scored seven goals from the floor.

The new combination of forwards worked fairly well, but more effective passing is necessary before facing strong opponents. Other combinations which have been tried during the past few days are Gordon and Maher, Smith and Merrlam, and Maher and Merriam. Maher in particular has shown marked improvement. Though forward play is entirely new to him, he has mastered its fundamental requirements quickly and thoroughly. His general floor game is excellent, and when he is teamed with a man who is a good shot the result is a very effective combination. Bourne is another greatly improved player. Besides being strong on the defense, he possesses a very good eye and is a dangerous scoring threat as a running guard.