CONTROVERSY TO BRING BETTER UNDERSTANDING

Dean Washburn Predicts Happy Outcome of Episcopal Trouble--To Discuss Question Tonight

Dean H. B. Washburn '91, of the Episcopal Theological School, stated, when interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter yesterday, "that the House of Bishops which met in Dallas, Texas, on November 14, issued a Pastoral Letter which is causing the present discussion within the Episcopal Church. The Pastoral Letter implies that a strict construction of the Apostle's Creed is alone permissable, particularly a strict construction of the clause 'conceived of the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary.'"

The Dean went on to say that certain people believe "that the Episcopal Church is hospitable to such interpretations of the various clauses of the creed as express the fundamental spiritual meaning of the clauses, including the clause which refers to the Virgin Birth.

"It is expected that the problems that have arisen in consequence of the publication of the Pastoral Letter will give rise to many conferences of a friendly and constructive kind," Dean Washburn concluded.

There is to be a meeting of all interested students in Phillips Brooks House at 5 o'clock this afternoon to discuss and ascertain undergraduate opinion on the controversy. The meeting is under the auspices of the St. Paul's Society.