CRIMSON DOWNED IN STRENUOUS BATTLE

Geran and Smith Star for B. A. A. While Owen and Beals Are Outstanding Players--No "Letting-Up" Shown

Last night at the Arena, the University hockey team went down to defeat by a score of 2 to 1 at the hands of the B. A. A. sextet. The contest was hard fought throughout, and was marked by some of the most strenuous hockey yet put up by the Crimson skaters or any of their opponents. Time after time the forward lines skated all the way down the ice and seemed in a position to score, only to have their efforts broken up by desperate defense work. There was no "letting-up" at any time. It was a continuous exhibition of superb hockey.

The first period saw the puck being carried rapidly from one end of the rink to the other. The teams seemed evenly matched, and neither could gain an advantage at first, until, about a quarter of the way through the period, Smith, playing at right defense for the B. A. A., broke through the forward line, skated around the Crimson defense, and shot the first tally of the contest, on a hard, driving shot past Bigelow. Near the end of this period, Captain Owen took Beals place at center. Hammond substituting for him on the defense.

Beals Scores Goal

This same line-up started the second session. The University sextet, playing in this order, seemed to have an amount of strength which was not present in the regular line-up, However, near the middle of the period, Geran, taking a pass from McCarthy in a mix-up in front of the Crimson goal, shoved the puck into the net. Near the end of the period, Beals, racing down the right lane, took a long shot from near the center of the rink, which slipped past La Croix for the Crimson's only score.

During the entire last period, the teams seemed evenly matched, with neither apparently able to gain any marked advantage over the other. Excellent goal guarding, as well as stubborn defense play and speedy forward-line work prevented any further scoring.

Captain Owen and Beals were the outstanding stars of the Crimson team. Owen's defensive work was largely responsible for the fact that the speedy B. A. A. forward line was unable to score more often, while he and Beals were responsible for a large share of the Crimson offensive. Geran and Smith showed remarkable work for the B. A. A.

The summary:

Score, B. A. A. 2, Harvard 1 Goals by Geran, Smith, Beals Referees, Sands and Doody. Penalties, second period sCampbell, Austin, McCarthy, 2 minutes each, tripping: third period, Walker, 2 minutes hooking Enright 2 minutes tripping. Time, three 15 minute periods. HARVARD  B. A. A. Walker, Austin, l.w.  r.w., McCarthy Beals, Guild, Owen, Crosby c.  c., Geran, Enright Hill, Beals, r.w.  l.w., Small, Rice Crosby, Hammond, l.d.  r.d., Smith Owen, Hammond, r.d.  l.d., Campbell Bigelow, g.  g., La Croiz