OVER YOUR COFFEE

Hastily gobbling "one egg" at the Waldorf, or strolling to Music 4, who has chanced to wonder what Galli-Curci eats at that selfsame hour? What student of English 35a would not be unlifted for having enjoyed Billy Sunday's conception of manna? Even the sleepy, rising late after an evening's enjoyment, might ponder while drinking their coffee, whether Otis Skinner were up yet, and whether he'd ask for one lump or two.

To answer these random queries and perhaps aid ambitious chefs, several statisticians have made a real contribution to "Hotel Management". Questionnaires sent to many artistic celebrities show that regardless of medical opinions, in the temperamental professions, the advocates of a hearty breakfast divide the honors with those who "bant" (society term, "to reduce"). Robert Cortes Holiday likes "steak and fried potatoes"; August Heckscher fasts till noon. Galli Curci "regards it of prime importance not to eat too much", while Elsie Janis "just loves a good substantial breakfast".

Then, of course, the adherents of each party have their own peculiar tastes. Captain Achmed Abdullah has a breakfast, described as "a dignified, almost pontifical institution", consisting of "always fruit always eggs, always three cups of coffee, and always marmalade, honey or jam", while Jaseha Heifetz asks merely for quality not "always" successfully. Two cups of tea and a cigar satisfy. Ed Wynn, but Billy Sunday demands griddle cakes. Mary Garret Hay is perhaps the most unusual. Breakfast appeals to her "not only physically, but esthetically". She ecstatically insists that "a fine bunch of grapes or a golden orange, crisp rolls, a dainty pat of butter, and good coffee sending up a delicious aroma, etc., etc., etc. . . . constitute a breakfast that is perfect for civilized man". But though these "artistic tastes" do catch the eye, it is yet undiscovered whether Captain Abdullah or athletic Ed' Wynn is the more afflicted with dyspepsia.