IN THE SWIM AGAIN

The possibility of a real swimming pool at the University, like the hopes for a new chemical laboratory when Boylston burns down, or buildings for the Business School, has long been accepted as something to be realized in the dim future when a former champion plunger become millionaire had an attack of generosity. To have the pool within reach, definitely planned and to be ready for use next year, is almost unbelievable.

Harvard's present facilities for swimming are notoriously poor. The Randolph pool holds scarcely more water than would the tub which Diogenes turned into a home. As for the Big Tree, one look at the water usually discourages the most hardy swimmer. The new pool, to be located very judiciously on the north side of Hemenway, with a gallery capacity of 2000, will have the immediate effect of resuscitating the swimming team. More than this, as Major Moore says, it is the next logical step in the program of "sports for all". Further development in the direction started by the gift of Soldiers Field, and continued within the past two years by the new organization of rowing and the expansion of the squash courts, will benefit the entire University.