WE HOLD THESE TRUTHS--

The special committee on admission has come to the obvious conclusions and announced the expected decision. The University "must maintain its traditional policy of freedom from discrimination on the grounds of race or religion." A few critics will complain that the report, with so many additional suggestions, leaves the issue just as much open as ever; far more will notice with disappointment that the committee has stood in evident dread of arousing "damaging suspicion" through the popular press and that it has feared to recommend "so rational a method" as personal conference or intelligence tests because it "appears inexpedient." And, if they seek suggestions either conclusive or startling they will look in vain. What they may forget is the fact that the obvious answer is often the right one.

In one respect, at least, the committee is unquestionably right. Its problem--"more effective sifting of candidates for admission"--is not a problem of race or religion. That distinction raised by partisans and alarmists, has confused the issue from the start and seriously embarrassed those who were seeking a remedy. There are misfits in the University of all races, all religions. The question remains, then, where the "sifting" should be done.

The committee concludes that it is all a matter of scholarship--and it proceeds to suggest a raising of entrance requirements on the basis of studies alone. Its ideas in that direction are constructive, and will undoubtedly accomplish their immediate purpose--that of cutting out those who are mentally unfit. The fact that grades are only a partial index of mental capacity is a truism which the committee has been obliged to ignore.

The larger idea that lies behind this raising of standards is of much greater significance. Harvard, to be concise, is aiming to attract the more ambitious intellects of the country. The predicted day has come when "higher education" itself must have different levels. The enormous increase in college enrollments everywhere is making an ordinary college degree much more general. This is entirely desirable--but it means that a few colleges, by increasing their requirements, will have to put themselves on a scholastic plane which will offer higher advantages to the relatively few students who want them and can profit by them. It is natural that Harvard should wish to be one of these latter colleges; it is equipped to offer that service, and by limiting itself to those who can best profit thereby, it will avoid wastage through conflict with the institutions which prefer to remain open to all. A limitation of that sort is perhaps "aristocratic", but it is the sort of aristocracy to which no one can object. It will put a premium on good minds.