COMMENT

Near Home

In one course several weeks ago there was but a single copy of a book available for reference in the library. The instructor added two of his own. All three were stolen. A few days later a six volume edition of a work on Political Science was rendered practically useless because some undergraduate--doubtless intellectually eager -- had ripped out an entire chapter that was included in the assigned reading. The same day a book that was out of print was destroyed by several pages being ripped out. These are not isolated instances.

Cheating in an examination is sometimes weakly condoned by the assertion that the student is engaged in a game with the professor. There is not even a game going on in the library. The library assistants there do not attempt to watch the students; they trust them. We have no doubt but that the most awkward thief could get away with Webster's Dictionary. This is not in suggestion.

If increased watchfulness on the part of the librarians coupled with severe punishment for any offenders caught does not effect an improvement, there will be no other alternative but the force of public opinion. That weapon is gaining strength every day as more men go to the library and find that the book they need has been stolen. --The Dartmouth.