VOCATIONAL SERIES TO END NEXT WEEK

President Lowell to Conclude Series on Tuesday, Speaking on Relation of a Liberal Education to a Career

Dr. W. S. Thayer '85 will speak Monday night in the Union on "Medicine and Surgery as a Career". This will be the fifth lecture in the series which the Union has been conducting to assist undergraduates in their choice of a vocation, and which will be brought to a close on Tuesday night, when President Lowell will speak on the relation of a liberal education to a career. Both of these lectures will be open to all members of the University irrespective of their membership in the Union.

For eight years, Dr. Thayer, who graduated from the Medical School of the University in 1889, has been a member of the Board of Overseers. At present he is physician-in-chief of Johns Hopkins Hospital, and a professor of medicine in Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Thayer will be introduced Monday night by Dr. H. P. Walcott '58, who is the senior member of the University Corporation and chairman of both the Massachusetts State Board of Health and the Metropolitan Water Board.

Five men prominent in the medical profession have been secured to hold conferences on Tuesday with all students who are especially interested in that vocation and who have personal problems upon which they wish to be enlightened. A blue book has been placed on the desk in the Main Reading Room of Widener Library in which all men who desire interviews may sign up. All of the conferences will be held in the Quiet Room of the Union.

From 10 to 11 o'clock, Dr. Homer Gage '82, of Worcester, will meet students. Dr. Gage, who graduated from the Medical School in 1887, and is a member of the Board of Overseers of the College, as well as trustee and treasurer of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, is a surgeon of long experience and is now surgeon-in-chief of the Worcester Memorial Hospital. Dr. Worth Hale, who is an associate professor of pharmacology and assistant Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, will be available from 10 to 12 o'clock.

Students will be able to confer with these men between 2 and 4 o'clock. They are: Dr. F. C. Shattuck '68, Jackson Professor of Clinical Medicine, Emeritus, and a practicing and consulting physician in Boston since 1875; Dr. Alfred Worcester '78, a general practitioner in Waltham since 1883 and an ex-president of the Massachusetts Medical Society; and Dr. W. B. Cannon '96, George Higginson Professor of Physiology since 1906 and president of the Medical Research Society of the American Red Cross in France in 1917 and 1918.