A MODERN CLERK OF OXENFORD

It has been said that men may be known by their books. The immense library of the late Professor James, with the pencilled annotations with which he improved it, would probably reveal his personality as thoroughly as his philosophical writings, his informal essays, or even his delightful letters. A search of these books would show an eager curiosity, a quick and imaginative power of relating one statement or idea with another, an orderliness of mind, and a versatile interest. In the part of his library which has recently been given to the University, the most valuable of his books are assembled, and they make up an encyclopedia of knowledge in themselves. His continual "searching for this and that" took other form besides that of book-collecting. His "great anthropomorphological collection", which he began in his early youth and pursued throughout his life, was one of the most original contributions to psychology. A face, a photograph, portrait or pose that interested him was duly enlisted and catalogued: marginal sketches of hands and feet (another sign of his versatility) turned the pages of his books and notebooks into illuminated manuscripts. Some of these, fortunately have been preserved in the large bequest to the University.

But not all of the James library has come to Widener. Many interesting volumes have gone on public sale, and are available to become the nucleus for growing collections. The pleasures of book-collecting have been immortalized by enthusiastic bibliophiles and essayists, who will testify that a "find" such as the current sale of Professor James's personal library is a rarity.

In these days of faddist collectors, it is common to find catalogues listing the current selling-prices of famous signatures. An actress of the '90s brings 35 cents, a recent baseball player perhaps a dollar. No doubt the philosopher would not rank with these today, but the twelve letters of his name will be more lucrative in time to come. Already that name means something beyond valuation, to Harvard men in particular and the books themselves, with his marginal remarks, contain wisdom and sentiment as well.