FINAL DISCUS TOSS GIVES ELI FRESHMEN MEET BY FRACTION

Watters Also Gains Ten Points in 880 and Mile Run--Norton of Blue Team Shows Speed in 220 and 440

A clean sweep by the Yale Freshman athletes in the final event of Saturday's track meet in the Stadium, snatched victory from the hands of the Crimson first year men and carried the day for the visitors with a margin of 1-3 of a point. When the discus throw, which completed the day's program, began, the Freshmen were leading by 8 2-3 points, the score standing at 67 1-3 to 58 2-3. M. A. Cheek Jr., the only possible Crimson point-winner in the event, fell short of the third best Yale distance by a scant two inches, and all three places went to the Blue team, giving them a victory with a count of 67 2-3 to 67 1-3.

The University Freshmen were notably weak in the field events, gaining only 21 1-3 points in those contests to 41 2-3 for their opponents: In the track events, however, the Crimson first year men made a better showing, capturing five out of eight first places, and making a clean sweep in both the half mile and the mile. The times were not on the whole very good, because the winners were hampered by the cold rain, and a wet, slow track.

There were, however, several brilliant individual performances. Cheek, for the Crimson, took first place in both the shotput and the javelin throw, while his team-mate, J. N. Watters, won both the mile and the half-mile races. Captain R. G. Allen, of the Crimson 1926 team, came in first in the 100-yard dash and second in the 880-yard run.

The summaries follow:

100-Yard Dash.--Won by Allen (H); second, Wood (Y); third, Broome (H). Time, 10 2-5s.

220-Yard Dash.--Won by Norton (Y); second, C. V. Wood (Y); third, Broome (H). Time, 23s.

440-Yard Run.--Won by Norton (Y); second, Brooks (H); Rogers (H). Time, 51 3-5s.

880-Yard Run.--Won by Watters (H); second, Allen (H); third, Tibbetts (H), Time, 2m., 2s.

One Mile Run.--Won by Watters (H); second, Tibbetts (H); third, Perkins (H). Time, 4m., 36 2-5s.

Two Mile Run.--Won by Barker (H); second, Parker (H); third, Davis (Y), Time, 10m., 22s.

120-Yard High Hurdles.--Won by Combs (H); second, Bullard (Y); third, Kane (H). Time, 16 2-5s.

220-Yard Low Hurdles.--Won by Cole (Y); second, Kane (H); third, Bullard (Y). Time, 25 2-5s.

High Jump.--Won by Gifford (Y), 5 ft. 8 1-4 in.; second, tie between Durgin (H), Cutler (Y), and Meima (Y), 5 ft., 4 in.

Running Broad Jump.--Won by Weinecke (Y), 21 ft., 8 in.; second, Spencer (H), 21 ft., 5. in.; third. Quirk (H), 20 ft., 11 1-2 in.

Pole Vault.--Won by Durfee (Y), 11 ft.; second, tie between Combs (H), Burke (Y), Cutler (Y), and Sweeney (Y), 10 ft., 6 in.

Shot Put.--Won by Cheek (H), 38 ft., 1-2 in.; second, Altman (H), 37 ft., 10 1-4 in.; third, Graf (Y), 37 ft., 8 1-2 in.

Hammer Thow.--Won by Marting (Y), 138 ft., 10 in.; second, Sehm (Y), 109 ft., 3 5-8 in.; third, Berglund (H), 105 ft., 1 7-8 in.

Javelin Thow.--Won by Cheek (H), 158 ft., 11 in.; second, Graf (Y), 151 ft., 7 in.; third, Alwater (H), 149 ft., 8 in.

Discus.--Won by Graf (Y), 117 ft. 10 in.; second, McCoy (Y), 113 ft., Sin.; third, Stewart (Y), 109 ft., 11 in.