YESTERDAY, TODAY, TOMORROW

Since the "Magenta" was founded in 1873, undergraduate journalism has risen to an important rank among student activities. "The Oldest College Daily", the Yale News, was founded in 1878; the "Magenta", then called the "Record-Crimson", became a daily five years later; others soon followed, and now almost every college has its daily or weekly news publication. Beginning often as semi-literary journals, the emphasis shifted until they have displaced the official publications and made themselves indispensable to the convenience of most of the students. At the same time editorial policies have been shaped so that they cover thoroughly all student and many intercollegiate matters, and help the paper to serve as a medium between the student body and the Administration.

The report of the Editorial Committee of the Intercollegiate Conference this morning suggests that the editorial field can still be greatly expanded. More attention should be given to developments in other colleges; scholastic matters, as well as athletics and innovations in other activities, often warrant the interest of students elsewhere; frequently they are suggestive of possible reforms, or offer answers to mutual problems.

Even more to the point is the clause in the report which proposes a more extensive and definite attitude on public affairs outside the colleges. It is recognized that "the undergraduate of today, being the leader of tomorrow, should learn before graduation to think in national terms." If the college publications can help to rouse and crystallize sentiment on important national and international matters, they will make undergraduate opinions more effective, give them an outlet, and perhaps help the students themselves to prepare for public activities after college. Undeniably, there is at the present time a revival of student enthusiasm for such matters. This is a tendency that can hardly be overdone, and all that the periodicals can do to further it will be effort well spent. As the report suggests, the international question, with the League of Nations as a focus, is certain to be a prominent problem in the coming years. College men, with college newspapers as a medium, should take a vigorous part in the discussion.