OUT OF THE BUNKER

When the golfing honor of a nation is at stake, excitement may run as high as in a great football match. Many an enthusiast who does his daily eighteen must have felt his heart sink when the news of the first day's battle in Scotland for the Walker Cup told of but one American victory out of four matches. The necessity of winning at least five and a half of the remaining eight matches in order to keep the 'scutcheon clear and bring the cup once more to America formed a dismal prospect. Yet no more dismal than the prospects of Ouimet, when he faced his last five holes through the rain in the famous championship at Brookline years ago. He did then what was considered the impossible, and yesterday he and his team-mates repeated the process.

To win the Walker Cup by such an up-hill struggle makes America prize the victory higher than the cup and title. It will put another chapter in the records of American sportsmanship. The dogged determination which the American golfers displayed was as great as the traditional dogged determination of the most determined Englishman. Although one may still be so benighted as not to understand the meaning of "stymie" or "birdie" or "chip shot", neither Briton nor American who has heard the story of the contest will withhold a hand of sincere congratulation for the victorious team.