UNIQUE COMPOSITIONS TO BE PLAYED AT PAINE HALL

BALLANTINE WILL RENDER OWN COMPOSITIONS

Two numbers by foreign composers to be played in America for the first time, as well as the premiere performance of five piano pieces by a member of the department of Music at the University, will be features lending particular interest to the Harvard Musical Club's concert at 8.15 o'clock this evening in Paine Hall of the Music Building.

This concert, which will be open to the public free of charge, has received so much attention from New York and Boston music critics, that it is expected many New York music lovers will make the trip to Boston for tonight's performance.

Perhaps the most unusual item on the program is the first number by Madame Lili Boulanger, entitled "Pour les Funerailles d'un Soldat". Madame Boulanger is the only woman who has ever won the "Prix de Rome", the most coveted prize of the Paris Conservatory of Music.

A suite of very unique nature will follow the latter selection--that of "Socrates" by Erik Satie, one of the most often discussed but seldom played of the living composers. "Socrates", as it happens, is one of the very few of Satie's published compositions that is wholly adapted to the conditions of the concert room. In this production, which will be heard for the first time tonight, Satie bases the music on extracts from the Dialogues of Plato. It is also one of the soberest pieces that the singular Parisian has set to music.

The complete program of tonight's concert is as follows: Pour les Funerailles d'un Soldat  Lili Boulanger (First performance in America) J. R. Houghton 1G., Baritone. Chorus of thirty members of the University Glee Club and the Radcliffe Choral Society, Dr. A. T. Davison '06, Conductor. George Newell Sp. and G. W. Woodworth '24, Pianists. Five Pieces for the Piano  Edward Ballantine (First performance) Two Voices The Climbing Vine Pavane Minuet Capriccio  Played by the composer Socrate  Erik Satie (First performance in America) Three Dialogues out of Plato 1. Portrait de Socrate  (Le Banquet) 2. Bords de I'lllisus  (Phedre) 3. Mort de Socrate  (Phedon) J. F. Lautner '21, Tenor Virgil Thomson '23, Planist