UNIVERSITY A LEADS SECONDS BY A LENGTH

Defeats 1925 A by Half--Length in Henley Trial--Will Compete at Philadelphia--Leavitt Out of 1928 Line--Up

The University crew defeated the seconds by a single length over the mile and seven--eighths yesterday afternoon, there by stamping themselves as the better combination of the two. The margin of victory, however, was not such as to warrent the rating of the first much above the juniors in actual speed for two miles, for University B, stroked by Mumford, continually pressed their opponents and refused to allow the latter to get away.

Starting off as usual at a very high stroke, the seconds gained steadily on the first crew in the early stages of the race and by the half-mile had pulled out a third of a length lead. Matthews, setting a long easy beat of 30, kept alongside the speeding seconds with comparative ease, and as the mile drew near the high stroke commenced to tell on the junior oarsmen and their advantage diminished perceptibly. Approaching the bridge the two shells were on even terms and as they shot out the other side University A led for the first time by a quarter length. The seconds challenged repeatedly by hardly succeeded in holding their own with University A which had increased it lead to a half-length at the Henley flags. The time for the mile and five-sixteenths was 7 minutes and 20 seconds.

First Eight Wins by Length

Going down the home stretch the first eight tried every means to get away, but the seconds, responding to Mumford's rapid stroke, refused to be shaken off and finished only a length in the rear. The time was 10.25.

As a result of the trial race held yesterday, the third University crew has been selected to enter the event for third eights at Philadelphia on Saturday. Crew C won from Sophomore A by half a length over the Henley course, covering the distance in 7.16--four seconds faster than that of University A under almost identical water conditions.

Combination Leads at First

The combination class crew, comprising for the most part the old Senior A eight, bid fair to win the race at one time, being out in front by a third of a length at the quarter-mile, and had it not been for the fact that stroke Thompson lost the effective use of his stretcher at this, time, putting his boat out of the running, there is every reason to believe that this crew would have made the trip to the Schuylkill. Sophomore A gave the third crew a hard fight for the rest of the course and lost by barely half a length.

Chances for a Crimson victory against the strong Cornell Freshmen this Saturday were considerably diminished yesterday by the absence of Kent Leavitt '26, due to an infected throat. There is virtually no chance of Leavitt's being able to row by day after tomorrow and Coach Bert Haines has been trying out various men to fill his place at number 7. A definite choice will be announced today.