ANGORA SOCIAL PROGRAM ADVANCED, DECLARES BEY

Says the United States Has Nothing Like Turkish National System of Health and Education

"The Angora Government has already established a comprehensive system of hygiene and health control through its Department of Health and Child Welfare. The chief work is divided into two classes: prevention of disease and cure of disease, with bureaus covering the special phases of city health, sanitation, and so forth."

So declared Dr. Fuad Bey, a member of the Angora Assembly and the first Turkish official to visit the United States since the war, who has come to this country to make a study of social and philanthropic institutions as well as educational and business methods. Speaking through an interpreter in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter, Dr. Fuad who was formerly Turkish Minister of Health and Child Welfare, described the work being conducted by the Nationalist government along hygienic and educational lines. When asked to comment on affairs in Smyrna, Dr. Fuad said he had nothing to say on the subject.

Outlines Health Plans

Speaking of the accomplishments of the Turkish Health Department, Dr. Fuad outlined the plans, some of which are already being carried out, of the Nationalist government in the prevention and cure of disease. "Preventative measures," he said, "cover promotion of vaccination as a means of restraining contagious diseases sanitation, a system of committees of public health, and the employment of government health officers who visit the small villages and towns lecturing on hygiene as well as taking the place of and doing the work of travelling physicians.

"Curative measures include government distribution of quinine, establishment of hospitals, and special steps for the cure of tuberculosis, typhus, syphilis, cholera, and other pestiferous infections."

Public Schools in View

Discussing the system of national public education in Turkey, Dr. Fuad said, "The plans of the Nationalist government include the establishment of public schools for both children and adults. There are very few teachers at present, however, so that before the schools can be started instructors must be trained. In each of the nine divisions of Turkey a teaching college has been founded to educate the teachers. These teachers will go out to the little villages as soon as they are ready, but their duties will not be wholly in the intellectual line. They will be moral and social leaders of the people as well.

"Few other nations have such a program of health and education. The systems of France and Germany before the war resembled it, but the national government of the United States has nothing similar to it."