LONG HOME RUNS FEATURE DEFEAT OF WORCESTER

Hard Hitting by Freshmen Accounts for 15-4 Victory--Mosely and Puffer Do Well on Mound

Two long home runs by C. L. Todd Jr. and R. H. Field of the Freshman baseball team rolled all the way to the regular University diamond and furnished the features of the Freshman baseball game last Saturday at Soldiers Field, when the Crimson overwhelmed Worcester Academy by the wide margin of 15 to 4, making a total of 15 hits as against four for their opponents. Moseley, in the first contest in which he has started on the mound for the Freshmen, pitched a brilliant game, allowing his opponents but two hits, and walking three men, paying for his victory, however, with a strained arm which forced him to retire in favor of Puffer in the middle of the sixth. Although the injury was not serious, he will probably be unable to practice all this week. Puffer also did well in the box, but presented his adversaries with two runs before he hit his stride.

The Freshmen started off the game with a rush, retiring their opponents in quick succession, and making three runs in their first chance at bat. McGlone started the attack with a single, and spole second immediately afterwards, McArtney. Worcester's moundsman, became slightly rattled at this, making a wild pitch that advanced McGlone to third, and finally passing Knowlton. Slayton failed to connect with the ball, but Todd smashed out a line drive that gave McGlone his chance to score, and both Knowlton and Todd crossed the plate a minute later when the Worcester left fielder dropped an easy fly.

Three more runs were scored in as many innings, but it was in the fifth that the Freshmen ran wild on the bases. Before this inning had come to a close, seven runs were registered as the result of four hits. It was at this point in the contest that Field knocked out his terrific home run which rolled so far that he was able to cross the plate before the right fielder was even able to reach the ball.

The other homer was made by Todd to deep center field, and although it was not quite as long as Field's, he had no difficulty in crossing the plate before the ball reached the catcher.