SEES BIG CHANGE IN PRISON CONDITIONS

Aim Now Is to Rebuild Prisoners and Provide Them With Honest Occupation to Pursue After Being Released

"There have been radical changes in prison conditions during the last century", said Warden Hendry of the Massachusetts State Prison in a recent interview with a CRIMSON reporter. "No longer are prisoners bolted to walls in their cells, made to walk lock step with a ball and chain around their foot, or fed on bread and water and forced to live in a dungeon. The life of a prison inmate today corresponds to average everyday life with of course necessary restrictions."

"The original Charlestown prison was built in 1805", continued Mr. Hendry. "It then comprised cell accommodations for 258 prisoners. Since then three additions have been made and the prison can now house 700 men, although at the present time only 620 are enjoying the State's hospitality. To this prison are sent offenders with sentences ranging from two and one half years to a life term."

Sanitary Conditions Better

"Many improvements", he stated, "have been introduced since the prised, "have been introduced since the prison was erected, the chief ones being better cell ventilation with a great deal more light, twice the space of the old dungeons, better hygienic and sanitary conditions and educational and religious opportunities that were unknown to prisoners of former days. At present there are 12,000 volumes in the prison library available to the prisoners, while religious services of all denominations are held each week."

"One of the features of present day prison life", declared Mr. Hendry, "is the industrial work that occupies the greater part of the day. Instead of the former daily labor of rock-breaking pris- oners are given their choice of what work they wish to do of the many occupations that are being engaged in at the prison. In shops which were built mainly by the prisoners, are facilities for making shoes, clothing, mattresses, automobile registration plates, palls, ash cans and brushes of all kinds. In addition the prisoners may engage in sloyd, and machine, and lathe work. Most of the products made by the prisoners are distributed throughout the State charitable institutions in Massachusetts. In addition to this compulsory occupatiton many men have hobbies which take up their spare time, such as clock and watch making, carving, and model boat building.

"Opportunity is also given for plenty of exercise and championship athletic teams have been developed. Last year's ball team defeated all the outside teams that it played. This year the ball team has again been organized with nine of last year's veterans forming its lineup."

No More Bread and Water

"The food given the prisoners", Mr. Hendry stated, "in contrast with former prison diets of bread and water and water and bread is as good as furnished by any public institution where over 600 people are fed each meal. Still another feature of the modern penal system is the exact physical attention given each incoming prisoner. Each man is given an exhaustive examination that brings to light every possible defect. In addition to this examination, Bertillion measurements and finger prints are taken so that each man is perpetually classified. If any of the defects can be remedied the patient is immediately placed under the charge of an oculist, dentist or physician who are in constant attendance."

"Although prison life is far from being Utopian", Mr. Hendry concluded, "it now aims to rebuild men so that once more when they are given their freedom they will have some particular occupation, not as formerly in the underworld, but where they may become honest and self-respecting citizens for the remainder of their lives.