SETTLE TEMPORARY WORDING OF DEBATE

Seven Men Retained in University Team After Trials Last Evening--Will be Another Out at End of Week

A telegram received late yesterday by the University Debating Council contained the temporary wording of the resolution to be debated by the Harvard and Oxford teams in Symphony Hall on Monday night, October 8. The wording is "Resolved: That this house condems the French occupation of the Ruhr as greatly prejudicial to the welfare of the world".

This wording is subject to any change the Oxford team may make. Germany's abandonment of her policy of passive resistance in the Ruhr has brough much nearer a settlement between her and France, thus removing much of the fire of the question for debate. It is therefore highly probable that there will be a change in the wording of the resolution.

The final try outs for University speakers were held last night, after a preliminary trial given on Tuesday evening, and as a result seven men were retained: G. E. Barton '25, E. J. Casey '25, H. M. Hart '26, Charlton Mac Veagh '24, John von Sneidern Jr. '25, Philip Walker '25, and Paul Williams '25.

Coaches B. H. Kuhns 1L., and C. H. Whelden expect to retain the seven men until the end of this week or the beginning of next when the squad will be reduced. The men retained will meet this evening at 8 o'clock in Randolph 25.

The Oxford team, which will hold a series of ten debates with the prominent colleges in this country and Canada, is composed of three experienced debaters who are well qualified for the difficult task before them. G. A. Gardiner, besides serving as a second lieutenant in the famous Coldstream guards, has traveled extensively in parts of Europe and Africa. He has appeared several times on the stage, and was president of the Oxford Dramatic Society for some time.

C. H. O. Scaife, besides being a prominent speaker, was the winner of the Oxford University prize poem contest this year.

J. D. Woodruff, the third member of the team, was rejected by the army during the war, but went to Amsterdam on the staff of the foreign office. He is known in England as one of the wittiest undergraduates in Oxford.

While in the United States the Oxford team will confine itself to two subjects, the League of Nations and the Ruhr situation.

The schedule of debates that has been arranged for the English team follows:

September 27.--Bates.

September 28.--Dartmouth.

October 2.--Vassar.

October 3.--Princeton.

October 4.--Bryn Mawr.

October 5.--Swarthmore.

October 6.--George Washington University.

October 8.--Harvard University.

October 9.--Columbia.

October 10 or 11.--Yale.

Contrary to a previous announcement the vote of the audience will be taken by ballot and not by a division of the audience.