DEAN POUND DISCUSSES OBJECT OF LAW SCHOOL

Professor Chafee Also Addresses First Year Law Men

"If Marshall, Kent, Blackburn, and other famous English and American judges were to come back today, they would find rules, laws, and situations which they had never heard of; but they would be able to take the material that they had in their day and mold it to meet the changing conditions in the new problem. . . . That is the object of the Harvard Law School," said Dean Pound Hon. '20, in his address to the new students of the University Law School last night in Peabody Hall of the Phillips Brooks House.

Preceding the dean was Professor Zeehariah Chafee L. '13, who gave a few hints to the men as to hew to do the work, and stressed the necessity of reading the cases first and studying the lectures second.

The chairman was D. P. Kingsley SL., secretary of the Law School Society. Other speakers were W. S. Ege SL., president of the Harvard Law Review, the first issue of which comes out late in October, C. W. Partridge SL., president of the Legal Aid Bureau, and Robert Proctor SL., chairman of the Board of Advisees.