NEW SCHOLARSHIP BRINGS TWO ENGLISH STUDENTS

BOTH MEN HAVE WON HONORS IN SCHOLARSHIP AND ATHLETICS

Two students from the universities at Oxford and Gambridge, England, will this year study at the University under the provisions of the Henry P. Davidson Scholarship, established last spring. Mrs. Davidson presented these two scholarships, together with similar ones at Yale and Princeton, in memory of her husband and to aid in fostering good will between the United States and Great Britain, in the belief that mutual understanding is the essence of such good will. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton are to supply the tuition for these men, who are selected as representatives of the highest type of university man, the final choice being based on character and general standing.

From Trinity College, Oxford, comes John Bird, whose father was head of the Natal Civil Service. He prepared for college at Clongones Wood in Ireland, and will take courses in philosophy as well as continuing his interest in literature, playwriting, and newspaper work. At Oxford he was a member of numerous literary societies and was a track "Blue", winning the hundred-yard race against Cambridge. He was reading "Greats" at the university, which corresponds in general with taking honors at American universities.

A great nephew of Dr. Montagu Butler, late master of Trinity College, W. D. Macpherson, is the representative of Cambridge University, and will study in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. A graduate of Harrow, he won a "First" in the History Tripos at Trinity and was a member of the Pitt Club. He won his colors in the first Trinity boat, was captain of the Real Tennis Team (called in America Court Tennis), and Racquets champion of the University.