COLUMBIA QUINTET DOWNS UNIVERSITY

But Blue and White Team Is Forced to Battle Wachter's Men for Every Point Gained by Them

Employing a bewildering short passing attack and a tenacious five-man defense, Columbia's stellar basketball team, Intercollegiate League leaders, triumphed over the University five last night 28 to 22. It was the Crimson's first reverse of the season after five straight victories.

Few who saw the game will deny that the visitors were the better team, but Harvard made them fight for every point. Not a field goal dropped through the Crimson net during the first ten minutes, largely because of the phenomenal work of Rudofsky. Followers of Harvard basketball have come to take Rudofsky's defensive brilliance for granted, but he deserves special mention for his performance last night.

A foul-goal by Gordon and a field-goal by Rudofsky gave the University five a three-point lead at the start. The Blue and White rallied toward the end of the half, however, and with Captain Wilson leading the attack gained a 13 to 11 advantage as the period closed.

The Columbia attack took on new life after the rest period. After piling up a commanding lead, the Morningside Heights players resorted to defensive tactics. With Gordon doing most of the scoring the Crimson made up part of this deficit, but the final whistle found them still six points behind.

Failure to tally consistently from the foul-line was disastrous for the University team. Gordon alone missed eight out of 14 foul-scoring opportunities. Ragged passing and poor shooting also marked the Crimson play.

Aside from Rudofsky, Rauh and Samborski stood out for Harvard. The former covered the visitors' star center, Maunhein very effectively. Wilson and Lustig excelled for Columbia.

The summary: Harvard  Columbia Smith, Merriman, r.f.  l.g., Wilson Gordon, Smith, l.f.  r.g., Farer, Kirchmyer, Donaldson Rauh, Combs, c.  c., Mannheim Maher, Samborski, r.g.  l.f., Strom, Laub Rudofsky, l.g.  r.f., Lustig, Springhorn

Score, Columbia 28, Harvard 22. Goals from the floor, Gordon 4, Samborski 2, Rudofsky, Wilson 3, Lustig 2, Mannheim 2, Kirchmyer. Goals from fouls, Gordon 6, Smith 2, Wilson 6, Strom 4, Lustig, Kirchmyer. Time, 20 minute halves. Referee, Souders, Umpire, Hoyt.