HARVARD PRESS GETS OUT FOUR NEW BOOKS

Batchelder's Work, "Bits of Harvard History", Is Important University Record--Sale Begins Soon

The publication of four new books during the month of January was announced yesterday by the Harvard University Press. The books are: "Bits of Harvard History," by Samuel F. Batchelder '93; "A Handful of Pleasant Delights," edited by Hyder E. Rollins '16; "Harvard Excavations at Samaria 1908-1910," by George A. Reisner '89, David G. Lyon '01, and C. S. Fisher; and "Early Economic Thought," edited by Professor Arthur E. Monroe '08.

Odds and Ends of Harvard History

Perhaps the most important book ever written and one of the finest that the Harvard University Press has issued is Mr. Batchelder's "Bits of Harvard History." Entirely different from President Eliot's recent "Harvard Memories," which has had such a wide sale, it is a gathering of odds and ends of tradition from the three centuries of Harvard's existence. The book is based on a lifetime of original research in leisure moments among contemporary records, and official documents, and, on personal experiences in recent years. It contains fifty illustrations as interesting and little-known as the text.

The other original work, on excavations at Samaria, is a minute description in two volumes of the numerous "finds" of an expedition fitted out in 1908 by the Semitic Museum and contains some important additions to the knowledge of the history of this region which was a principal center of commerce in ancient times.

Publish Reprint of Tudor Poetry

"A Handful of Pleasant Delights" is an accurate, carefully edited re-print of a collection of Tudor poetry originally published in 1566. The first edition was entirely lost and modern reprints are rare.

Professor Monroe's book contains selections from 16 authors on economic subjects from before Adam Smith to the present and comprises an outline of economic history. Nine of the selections are now for the first time translated into English.

The books will probably go on sale about the middle of the month.