SMITH WINS WAY INTO SQUASH TOURNEY FINALS

Defeats Finley After Hard Fought Match--Lenhart-Rawlins Encounter Postponed

After the remarkable series of unexpected upsets which opened it, the University squash tournament is now rapidly and surely approaching its close. There are but three players left now, and by tomorrow night there should be but two.

Yesterday afternoon A. L. Smith '25 won his way to the finals by defeating J. H. Finley '25, three games to one. The match was very close all the time, the scores of it being 15- 11, 6- 15, 15 -9, and 16 14. Smith's steadiness and his swift serve were largely responsible for his victory. Although Finley played brilliant squash at times, he was slower than Smith, and not as accurate. The result of this match was not unforeseen, as Smith was seeded number five, and Finley number seven.

The other two men left in the tournament are P. M. Lenhart '27, and H. N. Rawlings '27, both members of last year's Freshman squash team. Rawlings being captain and Lenhart playing number three. The match between these two men to determine who is to meet Smith in the finals was scheduled for yesterday afternoon, but other activities interfered, and the match was postponed until this afternoon at 3 o'clock.

Although Rawlins was seeded number six and Lenhart was not seeded at all, they have managed to upset all predictions of the outcome. The first four seeded men in the tournament, G. D. Debevoise '26, J. J. Glessner '25, E. M. Upjohn '25, and R. P. Rose '25 have all been eliminated, as well as L. A. Weisman '26, who was seeded number eight. Smith put out Devevoise and Upjohn, Rawlins put out Glessner, and Lenhart accounted for Rose and Weisman, the two other men.