WRITER EXPLAINS PLOT OF "PEDRO--THE KING"

SAYS DRAMA IS CHRONICLE NOT PSYCHOLOGICAL PLAY

"'Pedro--the King' is an interpretation of what Pedro might have been, had he not had a bad inheritance and a worse environment," said Miss A. A. Wyse, when interviewed for the CRIMSON about her play "Pedro--the King", which the Dramatic Club will present next December.

Miss Wyse explained that in the story Pedro's father, Alfonso the twelfth of Castle, had abandoned his wife and his child for another woman, and that Pedro had grown up in extreme poverty. The latent good in Pedro's character, especially during his formative years, was crushed by the revengeful temper of his mother, and the mean circumstances in which he was placed. The drama shows the great influence of Maria de Pedillia over Pedro, and his reaction to it.

Miss Wyse declared the play to be a chronicle play, not a historical or a psychological play. "The play develops the character of Pedro, and carries it through to the end," she said. "The only purpose I had in writing the play was to show that the latent good in anyone can be overcome by external forces. There is no one that has not some latent good in him--not even Loeb and Leopold."